Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Popsicle Stick Buildings "Fishing Shack" More Steps



I guess I'll call this a "Stepped Dock" for the sake of this "set" but I built a couple of these stepped platforms to have on hand to add levels to different sets. Levels are really important, I want characters featured in these pics to be above, under, coming from inside buildings etc. I don't want them to look flat so I built these.
If you look at the construction in the first photo you can see that each step is four wooden cubes and then I made a square out of popsicle sticks and then used popsicle sticks for the boards on each step.
When placing the popsicle sticks put a little space between each one to give it depth.
I basecoated the steps with black/brown and when it was ALMOST dry I went over it with Raw Sienna, pulling the brush up each one of the sticks individually to create some woodgrain, this is very easy to do, don't be intimidated.
The final photo here shows the three pieces together, I haven't attached them to each other, they take up less room separately and can also be used for other things. But you know what ? I think this is still a little dull looking so I'm going to add some more things to it to really give a maritime feel.
A.Shay Hahn

No comments:

Post a Comment