Saturday, March 24, 2012

Backyard Dioarama Photos, almost finished this draft.



Here's Part Two of today's posts. In the early days of building these little wooden vehicles and buildings I used to shoot them in front of a simple painted back drop of a sky on my fridge in front of the microwave at my old apartment. The lighting was terrible and never really "sold" the photos, they just looked flat and had a horrible yellow tinge, there are many examples of these in the 2010 blog posts.
Taking all these bits into the back garden and shooting them there has improved the lighting immensely and also adds a great sense of "realism" to these very unreal photos, having all the leaves and dirt around is great and the budding plants make fine trees and add alot of depth. 
So above is the Hillbilly garage with a figure (hey Frodo!) and a vehicle and other bits, a barrel, a pile of wooed et. set pieces that help flesh out the environment, and of course a loyal dog (very important to the AHT world, dogs are everywhere and main characters in the stories).
I like to get low, lying down on the ground and just click off about twenty different shots, it's always exciting to find good angles when you shoot the dioramas, I think having the dog in the foreground works really well.
In Any How Town news I've passed the 51000 word mark for this draft, I figure it will be about 53 000 words when I finish this draft and then do one more big punch up of the text next week and then write the query letter.
I'm pretty exhausted from working on the project, can't wait until I'm finished, I'll take a day off and then jump right back into Book Two. The book has everything lots of action, plenty of jokes and some pretty colourful and unique characters, everything a person could want in an adventure.
Cheers!
A.Shay Hahn

No comments:

Post a Comment