Friday, June 28, 2013

Character Sketches, Different Races, MG world building


Many of the posts during the #MWSL craze yesterday commented on "PoC" characters, which after some figuring I understood as "people of colour", I'm sure this desire comes from agents and people writing for the Young Adult, reality based fiction market.
Any How Town is full of different races, that's what makes it interesting for me, above is Canto who makes a brief appearance in Book Two, he's an Aucassin, they're fishermen, he becomes incredibly important in Book Three, there's just one small problem, he speaks a different language than our heroes.
The second character sketch is Maihem, who is a Gardan youth, they're customs and mannerisms are very different than out heroes, his race is the enemy, but things are not always what they seem.
I love the freedom of world building, I don't know if I'd ever set a book in our modern era, I would definitely write books set in the 20's, - 50's. If Any How Town fit into any era in our world it would be a post WWI  setting, the technology is different, but the feeling is the same.
Hope to get a few more character sketches done today and also a couple of chapter punch ups would feel good too.
A.Shay Hahn

No comments:

Post a Comment