Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Scattered Notes, Character, Loss of Innocence


I've had several thoughts pass through my head this weekend about my main and supporting characters, some trivial and some very worthwhile. When I started writing the first book I changed the age of my characters by two years, I realized that they would be far too young to handle the quest that I was sending them on and not only because of the physical trials I put them through in the books but also by the end of the 4rth book I knew that the root of the story was about the loss of innocence.
The conspiracy that the two discover is large and has a statewide effect on all those around them, they had to be more mature to handle and assemble what they find, what they find changes them, they change with every book in the series.
 I also realized that I kept them at about ages ten and eleven because I wanted to avoid romance, there are romances in the story, they just happen to people close to them. From reading twitter and other sources I know that romances are very popular, almost necessary in these kinds of books, but O and E endure tests of their friendship, and that to me is the heart of the book, this is a story of a boy and girl who are friends and their friendship helps them endure the journey.
Always apologies for how awkward these paragraphs are, I'm mostly leaving notes and reminders for myself about why I've taken on this project.
All for now,
A.Shay Hahn


No comments:

Post a Comment