Monday, June 24, 2013

Words From "the Agent Game"


A flower in Stanley Park 
I read this tweet from "the Agent Game" today, "Telling me your book improves after a few chapters is a bad idea. Telling me your proposed series gets better a few books in is ridiculous.".It took me back to how I phrased the final part of my post about how I'm having a hard time getting a literary agent. I don't think that the above quote it applies to my work, the central mystery of the first books is introduced on the first page and the arch mystery that spans all four is introduced on the third page.
When I first set down to write the series I went through my crazy stack of notebooks, notes and drawings and made sure that my points were in order, my experience writing plays always comes in handy when getting story together, I wrote what had to be there first and then coloured the picture in, so I have a lot of confidence in the structure of books one and two.
Actually I'm quite proud of how the whole thing fits together from Book One to Book Four, every question that I asked, I've been able to answer, each character has there place and function, each object has a reason to be in the story.
Sometimes I worry that the voice I wrote with is too "workmanlike" but I wanted the tone of the narration to be gentle given the audience that the books are aimed at, I find no fault with that, it may feel like it lacks colour in the first few pages but set up are set ups and must be treated that way, all in all I do feel good about the work.
I suppose I'm just feeling sensitive right now, have a pounding headache from the crazy barometric pressure, even took a pain reliever, which I never do.
A.Shay Hahn
 

No comments:

Post a Comment