Monday, June 24, 2013

Glue, Headaches and Indiana Jones

I was going to submit this year to the Gladstone Hotel's, "If Walls Could Talk"  exhibit for March 2014, I thought it would be great to have over a dozen pieces finished and create some kind of narrative that links the pieces. Unfortunately after taking a survey of my progress I decided that I wouldn't be able to devote the time to get them all completed. When you commit to building more hyper real dioramas the amount of work you have to do becomes astronomical.
One of the hurdles are the figures, it's difficult to find heavily articulated figures that look like normal people, if you are looking for these your best bet is Indiana Jones.
What you see on the left is how he arrives, the next step is to find different heads for the figures to make each one different from the next, it's also important to make sure the heads fit, this may take some carving, drilling and gluing.
After that you have to paint them, I have yet to get into painting figures, luckily I have a friend who has great tips, the Internet is full of tutorials as well. None of the figures shown above have been painted. It's a daunting task, I may have to take another year to get all the pieces ready, so I may only be working intermittently on the dioramas for the next while.
I don't like this feeling, it bugs me, but it's what necessary if I want these things to look perfect when they're shot and turned into prints.
In Any How Town news I have just returned from a short vacation in Vancouver and am getting back into Book Two. I'm still looking for a book agent for the first book, the right person is out there, I just haven't found them yet.
I think I'll also do some drawings to post here of some crazy action shots of things that may or may not happen in the first four book of the series.
Stay cool and find that Red Panda,
A.Shay Hahn


No comments:

Post a Comment