Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Building Popsicle Stick Houses, Advanced Edition




Okay, so my "Building Popsicle Stick Houses" tutorials have been viewed many times over so I thought it was time to up the game a bit for anyone out there who wants to move on from those small "fishing shack" or "shed" sized buildings. These photos and the upcoming posts will take us into the more  advanced land of building, you will need all of the techniques that I've taught you so far to get through to the end and be able to call yourself a true "Master of Popsicalia".

PHOTO ONE the first step is to plan what you're doing, just take a bunch of masonite and luon bits and start to arrange them in a way  that appeals. I decided to get this house up off the ground and put down some blocks. I also kept this 21st Century Toys Soldier nearby and use him as a measuring stick and although the fit under the second floor is a little tight, he can still stand comfortably. I used the small dowels for aesthetic effect, and  then glued them into place and supported them with some popsicle stick " floor boards". This step could have waited until the end but I did it anyway.

PHOTO TWO Here's a back view where you can see some popsicle sticks, blocks and other bits that were used to hold things in place. DON'T FORGET to wait for things to dry, you don't want the walls to come crashing down - just slow down trooper.

PHOTO THREE Once everything was set I started in on gluing the "bits", the odds and ends of popsicle sticks that I use to make the ground, you could go get sand and stuff from modelling shops but I'm not into that right now, we'll do a "texture" workshop somewhere down the line, but not soon, there are lots of proper model building sites on the Internet where you can learn those techniques. After that was glued down I used the canvas supports that come with prestretched canvases to make the "cinderblock" wall, it's important to have different looks on your model if you want it to really look "real". Then I began making the "brick" walls, just take a WHOLE BUNCH of popsicle sticks and break them down into brick sized pieces, yes, this is boring, but most hobbies have a boring part- making brick walls is boring, no way around it.

PHOTO FOUR Ebay mail! Look at these great 21st Century dudes, I'll have to swap some heads with other figures but was really happy that these guys showed up.

all for now
A.Shay Hahn
madcraftshoppe@live.com

No comments:

Post a Comment