Monday, September 3, 2012

Building Beasties! Let's Add Wings!






PHOTO ONE I had made this ostrich/dino monster awhile back and it just hung around the studio staring at me, I wasn't totally thrilled with just doing the old "Attach a different head to a body" thing I'd been doing and frankly the guy looked a little dull.
PHOTO TWO AND THREE I had this leftover dragon body from when I made the "Gobblers!" (Scroll down and find that post) and decided to take the wings and add them to the monster. I measured out the area that I wanted to cut and carefully used the Leatherman saw to cut the wings out, I then did the same to the body of the beastie.
PHOTO FOUR I glued in two small wooden cubes to fill in the hollow body and give some support (no photo, oops! sorry) and once that was dry I glued the wings into place with ALOT of the Titan All Purpose Glue and left it to dry.
PHOTO FIVE Once the glue had set I wet a bunch of paper towel and used wood glue to secure the wings to the body on the top. I did this by adding a few wet layers and let them set. I piled them  up until it was level and looked like the wings belonged there. I left him to dry and now it's ready to paint.
PHOTO SIX I was going to throw the dragon body out now that I'd taken the head and the back off but I kind of see some possibilites for a new beastie -so I'm going to hang onto this and make something crazy.
have a great long weekend,
A.Shay Hahn


No comments:

Post a Comment