Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Building Popsicle Stick Crates and Boxes






TOP PHOTO Nothing makes a crate more interesting than putting something in it, here I took some Raffia and glued it into the crate then I painted a couple of wooden beads (very handy, get a bag)  and glued them on top. I first based the beads in black then just stipped (dry brushed) a mix of umber and white over them. I don't know what the objects are supposed to be, but hey.
SECOND PHOTO To make the crate on the left I built  each piece separately with popsicle sticks and then used then ends of popsicle sticks as inside supports to hold it together, the box on the right was actually built around a little cardboard box, which is a quick and handy way to make them fast. I'll do another tutorial on this later.
THIRD PHOTO I really dig those baby alphabet blocks, I'm sure I've bought over one hundred of them. I wanted a few sturdy crates for people to stand on so I just covered one in popsicle sticks and painted it. The pile of logs is made from the spare ends of wooden dowels, I had a bunch lying around and just glued them together, it's simple, but looks great.
FOURTH PHOTO Here's what a bunch of them look like together - sweet!
FIFTH PHOTO - Here is a new idea, these are winches - I'll get to them in the next post
SIXTH PHOTO- I always let the unpainted stuff pile up and then do it all at once, that way, if you have mixed up too much basecoat chances are it won't go to waste.
Okay,back to work, be sure to check out my paintings over at "the mad craft shoppe" blog just find the link in the right side bar, - and send us an email!
A.Shay Hahn











No comments:

Post a Comment