Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Avoiding the Moribund and Character Design


What a terrible day it's been at the keyboard, messed up all over the place, just didn't have it today. I think I have to move forward and work on the end of the book, I'm going over it in sections and just got nowhere. Terrible feeling, on the other hand our kitchen is cleaner than it's been in weeks (we made fresh jam this weekend and pasta, so things got pretty messy in there) and our backyard now has solar powered lights running through the ivy so that will be nice to look at this eve as the moon comes up over the backyard.
Above are a couple of designs of characters who appear later in the series, actually the figure at the top doesn't show up until after the first four books are finished, he's in Book Five and Six which is a two part story. The character is named "the Clam Pot Man" and he's my rip on Boba Fett. There was no cooler moment in the Empire Strikes Back than the pan up to the Bounty Hunters and I wanted something similar to open the fifth book of the series and believe me, the Bounty Hunters in Any How Town are some of the weirdest and scariest dudes you've ever seen.
This was my second attempt at designing him, he is supposed to look like an old wood fire stove and a suit of armour crossed together. Why? You'll have to wait and find out.
The second drawing is Assembly Woman White Street and she makes her first appearance in Book Three and is a major part of Book Four, I've written a bunch of rough pages with her in them and she's a hoot to write as a character. I love subverting tropes, taking moribund settings and pumping them up, the first book is set in a mine and at first I wanted to avoid a setting like that but then realized it's what I do with it that makes it new, and I believe I accomplished that in Book One, same with the Assembly Woman, if you judged her by her appearance above, you will have made a grave error, when it comes to warriors there are none more feared than the Assembly Woman.
Writing about these characters actually cheered me up.
A.Shay Hahn

No comments:

Post a Comment