Sunday, July 28, 2013

Book Three, backyards and trees.

The first three books of Any How Town were written in long hand in our backyard about two summers ago, I sat in this yard (above) and wrote all day and into the evening only stopping to make dinner. I was shocked at how much I was able to accomplish in just over three months, all of the notes, drawings and dreams just poured out and when I was finished and returned to painting in the studio I had a giant stack of pages, more importantly I had what was to become my first (second and third) book.
I sat under the shade of a great tree and was able to work for hours hidden from the sun, sadly that tree died by the end of the summer and there was little shade in our yard.
The night before we left for the cottage a freak storm blew through Toronto and the tree that had once shaded me, now dead, was unable to battle the wind and half of it came down in our yard.
If you look closely you can see the branch is balancing on the wire.
Now we're back and the tree branch has been cleared, I woke up early this morning, around 5:30 am with a great idea, a nice change from waking up with a pained jaw like I had been for the past two/three weeks. I pulled out my notes and rough draft pages for Any How Town Book Three, set up the lap top outside and got back to work. I thought when I returned that I'd be finishing Book Two but the idea I woke up with was so solid and realized I had to get it down on paper, typed not handwritten, and it's 9:30 and I've gotten to about the twelfth page and I couldn't be happier.
I'll be getting back into Book Two tomorrow but for now getting the through line of Book Three is taking me to some great places.
A.Shay Hahn


No comments:

Post a Comment