Thursday, May 23, 2013

Lori Nix at Bau-xi Photo and new acquisitions

My favourite two galleries in Toronto are Bau-xi and it's sister gallery Bau-xi Photo both located across the street from the AGO. I talk about the gallery at length both at this blog and the blog where I show my paintings "the mad craft shoppe" (see links). My mother and I have seen almost every show at both locations in the past two years, it's part of a monthly pilgrimage that we go on when we go out for lunch.
If you head to the Bau-xi Photo website you can see works by Lori Nix who I have mentioned here before, http://www.bau-xiphoto.com/dynamic/artist_photo.asp?ArtistID=227841
Although we work in different scale and have a different processes her work inspires me to no end, the care put into these builds is remarkable. I also encourage you to check out her site, especially the series, "The City" and "Unnatural History" http://www.lorinix.net/ 
I don't even want to spoil the excitement by posting one of her images here, just go check them out and show them to people you know. If you've ever kidded someone about building dioramas you will be eating your 1/12 scale hat my friend.
But what the heck do the photos have to do with Lori Nix?
Nothing really I just wanted to show you what I see when I go into a Dollar Store looking for inspiration for my own builds, one of the plastic funnels is going to be converted into a crane attachment for pouring concrete, this will be done with coffee stirrers, paper towels and zip ties and the laundry washing net will be made into chain link fences. My process for diorama building is based on finding objects and converting them into other things (see below posts) that anyone can do it if you keep your eyes open, it also keeps your budgets down and that always helps if you feel nervous about spending too much cash on dollhouse items - you don't have to, my experiments will show you how to get around the costs!
In Book Two news the second book is now transcribed and I am rewriting huge chunks as we speak, but I couldn't go on without talking about Lori Nix first.
cheers,
A.Shay Hahn
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment