Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Our Other Hero

Another redesign of our heroes, I decided it would be better to age both Oliver and Eaglet just a bit, they were 6 and 7 years old in their first incarnations when the series was about Brinker, Giveny, Wash and Denny (see character bios, 2009 entries) now those four are secondary characters, who are still very important to the story and Oliver and Eaglet are the lead characters.
In the first drafts of the first four books Oliver and Eaglet were 9 and 10 but I still felt that was just a bit too young for some of the situations they find themselves in so finally (hopefully finally) when I got into the 2nd/ 3rd draft writing I decided that Oliver should be 10 and Eaglet should be 11. I am happy with this choice for now and it feels right.
I jumped over to Book Two 2nd draft for this week and am trying to get over 10 000 good words down for the 2nd draft and track everything that happened in Book One and put it into the start of Book Two in a way that is clear and makes perfect sense, as the story of Book One begins the major arc another mystery presents itself in Book Two.
I'm having a great time with all this and by March 31st I'm hoping to have both 2nd/3rd drafts finished for final revision and then take a break to do a little painting and get into Book Three. I'll probably also be sending out some packages to agents then and starting that strange waiting game.
A.Shay Hahn

No comments:

Post a Comment