Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Alfred Hitchcock's "Lifeboat" Build




I have had an obsession with "Lifeboat" for a couple of years, it began with the Annie Leibowitz photo from the Vanity Fair Hollywood Issue that recreated scenes from Hitchcock films. I had also been painting many pictures of women sleeping in rowboats and angels with wooden wings rowing them (see my other blog "the mad craft shoppe" at sidebar) there's also a great fan created Tragically Hip video that uses footage from the film - darnit I can't remember the song - I'll find it later and post it, so as you can see the seeds of obsession had started getting some pretty firm roots in my head and once that happens - I'm on a mission.
(My current mission is to find a used copy of "The Gunstringer" for Kinect, so let me know if you see one in Toronto)
It's easy to just buy dvd's to complete your collection on ebay or buy at full price at a retailer, but I like the hunt and I would scour used stores for very specific films that I wanted, The Blood of Heroes, Ian McEllan's Richard III and of couse, Lifeboat. After a couple years of fruitless searching I finally found a copy - under the Christmas Tree, many thanks to my lovely wife.
 I decided to build my own lifeboat and worked on it as we watched the film.
It's day two of the build and I'm at the paint stage, have to throw a raw umber on it to tie it together but it's coming along nicely, my only regret is that it should be deeper, here's a tip for you builders out there - it's easier to make your figures sit if they can actually sit with a full bended knee.
Luckily I have a chaotic scene planned for this diorama so if all the folks aren't seated that's fine.
check back in later today to see how it's coming.
A.Shay Hahn
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment