Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Why Are You Doing This? Part Three

*Third Verse, same as the first.

Drawing: I don't draw as often as I did as a kid, I am primarily known in this city as a painter, muralist etc. but you think, "Don't you have to draw to do that ?" and I say, "No, I sketch, and sketch badly, my sketches look like a drunk girls phone number written with eyeliner on a wet nap." I flesh out concepts just as much as the next guy, but they are rough and ugly sketches that usually end up covered in notes and scribbles, paint and dribbles and the usual rough treatment. I usually only do "solid" sketches when I have a client involved who wants to see process, or if I get an idea when I'm not in my studio. I'm comfortable enough as a painter that once I have a concept for a piece or a series I just get started (but that's another blog: see mad craft shoppe).


So I had to draw and draw often, the character boards were the perfect way to refine my drawing style for AHT in a way that I was comfortable with, it was also a chance to work on line thickness, the most important part of inking and the thing that I have the hardest time with. So expect alot of these character boards until I am comfortable enough to begin drawing the series. "It's like riding a bike..." - which is a load of horsedooky, it's hard.


My approach right now to AHT is to publish a page every week or so of very small story arcs that give you an idea of the place, a little tour is probably the best way to start, so I'm writing little four page stories that will show you the town from a few people's perspectives and give a good chunk of back story.
A.Shay Hahn


No comments:

Post a Comment