Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Building A Popsicle Stick Wheelbarrow



This one is a little trickier, only because you'll be using your drill to make very small holes, so be patient and keep a few extra pieces around in case the wood splits.
PHOTO ONE AND TWO- I had this wheelbarrow that I picked up at a dollar store and new that I needed more of them. I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on them so I figured out a breakdown of how to build one. The base is a little square of masonite that I had a from another wooden kit, I glued down three Pre Stretched Canvas corner pieces (There's that reference again) to make the sides of the wheelbarrow. I then measured two matchsticks and lined them up and drilled a hole for the wheel pin to fit through, this took a couple of tries once I got the hole I then reinforced it with some glue after placing the wheel.
PHOTO THREE - The only mistake I made was that I didn't drill the holes for the handles in advance, so make sure you do that first. Once everything was dry I built the front of the wheel barrows with two popsicle sticks and a coffee stirrer. Once everything was dry I went over it again with glue just to reinforce the areas that looked a little weak.
 I think they turned out pretty well, but I probaby should've built four of them, I've said it before and I'll tell myself this time, multiples are everything, the more you have the more real the diorama will look, it's all about the details.
A.Shay Hahn

No comments:

Post a Comment