Friday, January 6, 2012

Our Hero


There will be a bunch of new character sketches showing up here over the next three months as I get the looks and clothes for our cast locked in, most importantly our young hero Oliver Stinson (shown above).
I remarked many many posts ago that the key to unlocking this series for me was the shift in main characters from the teens of Any How Town to the children. Oliver began as a secondary character when I'd planned AHT to be a graphic novel or comic book series (if you go all the way down to the original character sketches you'll see what I'm talking about) but now is the focus of the first four books. I won't say too much about him here but he is a trusting young guy who is an excellent guide to the world of Any How Town, I still think he looks a little too old in the above sketches but I haven't drawn kids in a long time so I have to get my skills back up to snuff, I'm even thinking of using one of my friend's kids as a model for Oliver just to get it right.
We're heading into Chapter Five today and really enjoying the ride, the first four chapters were all set up and incredibly important, there's so much information that has to be introduced slowly in the first four chapters it really was a trick to get it right, but we're in a good place now.
best,
A.Shay Hahn
madcraftshoppe@live.com

No comments:

Post a Comment